Melissa and Doug: Stack and Count Forklift
This sturdy wooden forklift has a colourful load to haul: 10 painted number tiles slotted onto a numbered counting bar!
Stack them high on the truck bed or line them up on the floor - the puzzle-cut ends notch together for colourful roads and counting lines, and keep everything safely stacked when it's time to roll.
A wooden construction worker fits into the driver's seat in the front or comes out for pretend play, adding to creative play possibilities. Included extended-play activities offer ideas for encouraging skill-building play as well!
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- With the child, identify all the colours in the set: pink, purple, dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green, yellow, orange, red and maroon.
- Load the number tiles onto the forklift and count them aloud. Remove a tile and count again, saying as you go: "We have 10. If we take away 1, we have (counting) 9." Repeat until all the tiles are gone.
- Lay the number tiles on the play surface. Ask the child to link the tiles in order from 1 to 10. Link the tiles from 1 to 10, then remove and hide one of the tiles. Ask the child to look at the remaining tiles and identify the missing number. (Older kids can write it, too.)
- Spread tiles in a path across the floor. Have the child push the forklift alongside the path, loading tiles along the way. Ask the child to describe the forklift's day on the building site. What loads does it carry? What is it helping to build?
- Have the child load and unload tiles to act out the story.
Dimensions: 8" x 8.25" x 3.5"