Melissa and Doug: Peek Through Puzzle Princesses
Solve a puzzle from the inside out! Clever tile-shaped pieces have straight edges on the outside but are die-cut on the inside so the patterned puzzle board shows through.
Place the tiles in the puzzle board to match each animal to its pattern and solve the puzzle! Children love to find the solution to complete all eight "correctly" - then mix up the tiles to mismatch the patterns and shimmering foil accents, creating their own design combinations.
The sturdy wooden pieces are easy to grasp and maneuver, so moving them into the right (or wrong!) locations is an enjoyable challenge.
The puzzle comes with lots of extended-play ideas, too - so as children fill the figures with colors and patterns, they'll also be filling their playtimes with enrichment, learning, and lots of pattern fun.
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Lay the pieces in a row and ask the child to count them with you. Ask the child to solve the puzzle in a specific order by asking questions about each pattern. For instance, "Which princess has hearts on her dress?"
- Identify the main color of one dress, then ask the child to look for similar colors in other parts of the puzzle - such as the piece backgrounds, jewelry, and accessories.
- Place the pieces in the puzzle incorrectly and ask the child to rearrange the pieces to "fix" the mismatched princesses.
- Place the pieces in the puzzle incorrectly and remove one or more from the puzzle board. Ask the child to slide the remaining pieces to their correct places.
- Rotate the puzzle board and ask the child to complete the puzzle upside-down. Discuss which patterns look the same when turned around, and which look different.
- Encourage the child to name the princesses and tell a story about them.
- Help inspire a storyline by asking questions about each princess's favorite things, best friends, or plans for the day, or asking the child to describe the palace where she might live.
Dimensions: 11.75"L x 8.5"W