Melissa and Doug: My Pantry Canned Food
Stock a pretend pantry with this collection of lidded cardboard play-food cans and you'll have all the ingredients for colorful, imaginative grocery-store play.
Open and close, fill and stack, sort and match the canned food toys--this set has a pretend-play flavor for every taste!
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Ask the child to identify each food pictured and to describe it. Ask questions to help the child learn the food names and adjectives to go with them: "Are cherries sweet or salty?"
- Ask the child to look at all the cans and group them by size. How many cans are there in each group? Divide the cans into three unequal groups, and ask the child to predict which group will make the highest tower. Then ask the child to build the towers to find out if the guess was right.
- Ask the child to sort the cans into groups by type of food. For instance, you could establish one group of fruits and one group of vegetables.
- Ask the child to identify any leftover cans and talk about their food groups.
- Place three or four cans in a row. Ask the child to study them, then to look away while you remove one can. Ask the child which piece was removed.
- Gradually increase the number of cans for a greater challenge.
Dimensions: 13" x 5" x 2.75"