Melissa and Doug: Flapping Owl
This wooden owl toy, made with top-quality hardwood and child-safe dyes, enchants with eyes that move, vibrant colors and feathers that flap up and down with a clickity-clack.
Its classic styling and wooden construction will appeal to discriminating parents who want only the best for baby! It's an ideal first-year present--beautifully designed, durably made and full of playtime ideas for parents and babies to share.
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Talk to your child about what you see. Describe the owl's bright eyes, the colors of the feathers and the shape of the wings, pointing to each feature as you say its name. Pause between sentences so the child can "answer" with babbles or gestures. Toddlers may be able to point to the features after you demonstrate.
- Move the toy to make the feathers rattle. Ask the child to shake the toy or push the feathers to discover what noises he/she can create.
- Hide the owl toy behind a pillow or blanket while the child looks on. Say, "Where is the owl?" Then move the owl into view, saying, "Peekaboo!"
- Create a story about the owl, using the toy to act out the story's action
- Have the owl fly as part of the story, lifting it parallel to the floor (belly down) and moving it back and forth so the feathers click and clack.
Dimensions: 4.25" x 7" x 1.25" Packaged